Source: Volkswagen Cars USA
2016 Volkswagen Golf R
Become fast friends with raw power. -- Raw power combined with handling, the Golf R offers unbridled joy in a sophisticated ride.
Unleash the monster inside.
The Golf R combines raw, turbocharged power with impressive handling and performance all packed in a sophisticated form. Rev up power within.
Shoves the performance envelope.
It's no secret that the Golf R knows how to perform. But with impressive power that takes it from 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds and around the Nurburgring in 8:15, clearly it's not holding back.
- 292 hp/280 lb-ft of torque
- Turbocharged 2.0T in-line 4-cyl engine
- 4MOTION all-wheel drive
- 6-sp DSG automatic transmission
Confidence that doesn't slip.
The Golf R delivers power where it's needed most, improving handling. And the finely tuned suspension helps keep the tires planted.
- Mk.7 Golf (MQB) chassis
- Progressive variable-ratio steering
- XDS+ w/ 4 electronic differential locks
- DCC Dynamic Chassis Control w/3 modes
Beauty, in a Beast.
From state-of-the-art technology to sophisticated style elements, the Golf R balances its impressive performance with unexpected refinement.
- Dual exhaust with quad tips
- R badging/blue interior ambient lighting
- VW Car-Net App-Connect for smartphones
- Top Sport seats
It's a thoroughbred that's also a workhorse.
The Golf R does more than deliver power. With seating for five, plenty of cargo room, and no compromise on versatility, it's also a wonderfully functional example of what a performance hatch can be.
- 31 mpg highway
- 60/40-split, folding rear seats
- Adjustable cargo floor
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
10 years on 10 Best. A nice pat on the hatchback.
We're thrilled every year. But this year makes it a perfect ten. Car and Driver has once again named the Golf, Golf GTI, and Golf R to the 10 Best for the tenth year in a row.